Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Favorite Recipe: Veggie Burgoo

Burgoos are very popular in Kentucky, but there is no real agreement on what ingredients constitute the dish. They are usually spicy and include meat, vegetables, and some type of thickener. Then again, that describes a lot of soups! I use the term burgoo anytime I want to clean out my fridge and make a thick vegetable stew.

Note: I tend to avoid canned food, but when I do use it, I look for brands that use BPA free cans. Here's a list of companies and brands that are BPA free:

Ingredients:

1 carton chicken stock (Veggie stock can be used to make this dish completely vegetarian.)
1 bell pepper (any color will do)
2-3 zucchini or yellow squash
1 small package of carrots (I use shredded because they cook faster than whole.)
1 lb shredded cabbage (I buy coleslaw mix if I don't have time to chop my own.)
1 large can of diced tomatoes (I like to use canned items from Trader Joe's because they use BPA free cans.)
1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp olive oil
corn meal to thicken
garlic, salt, and pepper to taste


Other veggies I like to add:

Garbanzo beans, yellow or green onions, corn, and potatoes
1. Chop all veggies. Over medium heat, add oil and saute veggies, adding them in order of cooking time. (Thick, moisture heavy veggies like squash should be added first.)



2. Add canned tomatoes with juice after veggies have started to lightly brown.

3. Add chicken or veggie stock. I usually add the cabbage near the end so it isn't overcooked. If the soup seems thin, add corn meal one tbsp at a time to reach desired thickness.

4. Simmer for 15-20 minutes and serve warm. Cornbread makes a nice accompaniment.

No comments:

Post a Comment