Monday, January 9, 2012

Good Morning Pancakes

I love pancakes, but they can be quite high in fat, cholesterol, and calories. Here's a recipe from an old southern cookbook that I modified. You still probably shouldn't eat them everyday, but they're a lot easier on your waistline!


This is what most of my cookbooks look like. I'm always making changes to ratios and altering ingredients. Here's my version:

Ingredients

2 Tbsp oil
1 cup 2% milk
2 Tbsp sugar
3 tsp baking powder
2 egg whites (no yolks)
1 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp apple sauce (If you don't have applesauce on hand, add one more Tbsp oil.)
1 Tbsp cinnamon

 1. Mix all dry ingredients until well combined. Add wet ingredients and stir thoroughly.

2. Use a ladle to drop batter onto a pan or skillet over medium high heat.

3. Cook for about 3 minutes per side.

4. Serve warm with agave nectar. I frequently add a dollop of jam to the top!

2 comments: